How to Create a Safe Nursery for Baby
by Serah M-Gallo on Mar 29, 2022
Creating a Safe Sleep Environment for Your Baby — Nursery Safety
The first few months of a baby's life are so important, and one of the most important things you can do for your little one is to make sure they have a safe sleep environment.
A safe sleep environment not only reduces the risk of SIDS (sudden infant death syndrome) but also helps to ensure that your baby will get a good night's sleep. In this blog post, we will discuss the importance of a safe nursery and how to create one for your infant.
Create a Safe and Comfortable Sleeping Environment for Baby
How should babies be positioned to sleep?
• Keeping babies on their backs at night allows their airways to remain open and helps reduce the risk of choking. This is the position that doctors recommend for all healthy babies and is the position that is most effective in reducing the risk of SIDS.
• Babies should always sleep on their backs, but if they roll over onto their stomachs, don't worry! Just gently roll them back onto their backs.
Where should babies sleep?
• Babies should sleep in a crib or bassinet that meets current safety standards.
• The mattress should be firm, and there should be no pillows, blankets, or toys in the sleeping area.
• The AAP recommends that parents use a firm mattress and avoid placing their baby on a waterbed, sofa, soft mattress, or pillow.
• The crib should be placed in the parent's room near the bed so that the baby can easily be seen and reached.
• If your baby is sleeping in a nursery, make sure to have a monitoring camera and other smart nursery tech to help keep your baby safe at all times.
• It's essential to keep the room temperature cool but not too cold. A good rule of thumb is to dress your baby in light clothing and keep the room at a comfortable temperature for an adult.
Now that you know the guidelines for a safe sleep environment let's discuss how to create one.
How to safely use a crib:
• Make sure the crib is sturdy and has no loose parts or missing hardware. You should also check to ensure the slats are no more than two and three-eighths apart.
• The mattress should fit snugly in the crib so that there are no gaps between the mattress and the crib's sides. You should also use a fitted sheet that is made explicitly for cribs.
• Remove all pillows, blankets, stuffed animals, and other toys from the sleeping area. These items can increase the risk of SIDS or suffocation.
How to safely use a bassinet:
• The bassinet should be placed on a firm, level surface.
• The mattress should fit snugly in the bassinet so that there are no gaps between the mattress and the sides of the bassinet. You should also use a fitted sheet that is specifically made for bassinets.
How to decide on a nursery monitor:
When choosing a nursery monitor, you should consider your budget, how you will use the monitor if the monitor can be used after your baby no longer needs it, as well as other important features available with video monitoring. You can read our Nursery Monitor Buying Guide to help you pick the perfect monitor for your family.
Creating a safe sleep environment for your baby is one of the best things you can do to reduce the risk of SIDS and help your little one get a good night's sleep. By following the simple tips above, you can create a safe and comfortable space for your baby to sleep soundly through the night!
Learn how MOBI's home and health monitoring solutions make parenting easier. These solutions include smart baby cameras, door and window sensors, and more. All MOBI products can be integrated through the MOBI smart app and grow with your family.
Reach out to us today on Facebook or email us at email@example.com. We are happy to answer any questions you may have about building your smart nursery with MOBI.